FBC Associate Pastor Job Description and Person profile
Job Title: Associate Pastor Reports To: Senior Pastor Position Status: Full‐Time Purpose:
FBC is a vibrant, growing, charismatic Word & Spirit church, in membership with the Baptist Union, the Evangelical Alliance, Partners in Harvest and Global Legacy. We have significantly out grown our building and have recently sold the current site, and are now seeking a new home. We are looking for a dynamic Associate Pastor to join our staff team, due to a member of our ministerial team taking medical retirement.
The role of the Associate Pastor is to assist the Senior Pastor and Elders in overseeing the life and direction of the church. The Associate Pastor will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values and strategy of the church and the ability to align staff, volunteers and key leadership teams with its mission. The Associate Pastor will offer pastoral leadership to the congregation alongside the Senior Pastor and the pastoral teams.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Preaching and teaching: The Associate Pastor will need to be a gifted communicator, and an able preacher/teacher, in order to share in the preaching and teaching ministry of the Church.
- Deputising for the Senior Pastor: When the Senior Pastor is away the Associate Pastor will be required to deputise in all areas of ministry, including but not restricted to; oversight and line management of other staff, pastoral oversight / care, leadership and decision making on day to day issues.
- Local Mission: Mission and Evangelism are key areas for which the Associate Pastor will have direct responsibility, with oversight and development of a growing number of mission initiatives within the local community.
- Discipleship: A key aspect of the role of the Associate Pastor is the development, mentoring and discipling of other leaders within the church, especially the small group leaders.
- Pastoral Care and visiting the Associate Pastor will take on a proportion of the pastoral care and visiting depending on the needs in the church and his/her own gifting.
- Teamwork: The Associate Pastor will work closely with the Senior Pastor to ensure that the ministry team as a whole are providing a consistent approach to developing and enabling the church’s vision and will support the Senior Pastor in strategic decision making.
- The Associate Pastor will be a man or woman with a proven track record in pastoral ministry and church leadership.
- FBC is a Word and Spirit Church, and so the Associate Pastor will be a Spirit- filled person, who knows how to minister in the power of the Holy Spirit, and who is fully embracing of all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. In addition, the Associate Pastor will be someone who has a love for and a good grasp of the Bible, and is in agreement with the Evangelical Alliance Basis of faith (http://www.eauk.org/connect/about-us/basis-of-faith.cfm).
- The Associate Pastor will be mature in faith and as a church leader will be expected to set an example to the church in:
o Personal spiritual discipline
o Commitment to ongoing growth and development of Spiritual Gifts o Spiritual and Personal maturity
o Maintaining healthy relationships of personal accountability
The Associate Pastor will need to demonstrate a clear sense of God’s calling to FBC, and a commitment the vision of the church of “Loving God, Loving Fleet” by Encountering God through worship and the Word; being equipped by the Holy Spirit to live as disciples; and engaging in community transformation: locally, nationally and internationally.
In first instance, applicants should send a CV and covering letter to:
Claire Wheway (PA to Christopher Bird – Senior Pastor) – email@example.com
Fleet Baptist Church 115 Clarence Road Fleet, Hampshire, UK GU51 3NB www.fleetbaptist.org.uk