Frequently Asked Questions

Does Moorlands offer Distance Learning / Correspondence Courses? 
We have courses available which allow you to be flexible in your approach to study; our one year courses and Postgraduate courses primarily offer options for flexible home-based study alongside occasional study blocks here at College. In addition our Placement based course offers a unique and flexible option to combine studies alongside your work, Church and home life.

Go to MA and One Year Courses

What are the entrance requirements and process of admissions to Moorlands?
Please go to our admissions section and click on course requirements and procedure.

Go to Procedure

Go to Entry Requirements

Who should I have as my referees?
References will be required from adults who know you well, especially your church leaders and mentors who have known you for at least one year and know something of your background and Christian journey.

As an overseas student, what is different that I need to be aware of? 
We are currently unable to sponsor non-EU students at Moorlands. If you are an EU student you are welcome to apply in the normal way. If you would like more information about this please contact our admissions department.

Our financial policy is that payment for tuition fees and College based accommodation is payable in advance at the start of each new term. UK Immigration regulations require proof of ability to pay before we can offer you a place. We very much regret that as a College, we are unable to guarantee the offer of any bursary funds or scholarships to overseas applicants, as we have very limited funds available for this purpose, and that UK student finance loans will not be available to you.

English Language:
Competency in written and spoken English language will be essential in order to cope with the demands of the course. Therefore, you must be able to provide us with some evidence that you are competent in this area.

We ask that you take a test with the International English Language Testing System (IELTS – academic reading and writing modules), organised by the British Council in your home country (please note: you should take the academic training modules not the general training modules). You will need to achieve Band 6.0 overall, with at least Band 5.5 for each of Reading, Listening and Speaking, and 6.0 in the writing module. (Band 7.0 overall is required for Postgraduate studies).

Alternatively, we will accept an equivalent English language qualification from you (for example, the Cambridge First Certificate). If you have already taken either of these examinations, or are taking them whilst at language school, then you would need to tell us and provide evidence of this.

Please go to the British Council website for further information on how to access the IELTS course in your country.

 Visit the British Council website

What are the differences between Placement Based and Campus Based? 
Please go to modes of study within the courses section.

Go to Modes of Study

Can I get Government Student Finance support to help pay for my fees?
Student loans are available for the full-time BA (Hons) degree programme, including the Foundation year if taken as the first year of a four-year degree.

 Visit the UK Student Loans Company website

What if I want to visit the College before applying?
We have a series of five Open-Days per academic year, where you can come along and find out more information about our courses, meet staff & students and have a tour of the campus. You are very welcome to book a place on our Open Day, please follow the link for more information.

Go to Book an Open Day page

In addition, it is possible to visit the College informally if you want to visit outside of our published Open-Day programme. Please contact us at if you wish to make an appointment.

How do placements work?
During your time at college, you will have plenty of opportunities to put theory into practice within a variety of Christian organisations and churches. You will normally be placed within a local church or local Christian organisation, organised by our Director of Practical Training which you will attend on a weekly basis. You will also be given other regular opportunities to develop within your particular sphere of interest, especially in the second and third year when you organise a five-week block placement.

If you are applying for the placement-based course, we would encourage you to have thought through a possible placement opportunity before applying. If you are unable to obtain a placement, it is possible we can use our contacts here at Moorlands to arrange one for you.

Can I do Part Time work alongside my studies?
It is usually recommended that your time at college be set aside for dedicated study, without the added pressure of earning an income. However, there are occasions when students who have chosen the placement based option have continued to work, if their job is of such a nature that it can be combined as their placement, for example part–time assistant pastor or youth worker. The vacation periods from College (approx five months per year) offer opportunities to work if required.

What does a typical day look like for a BA student?
Please follow the link to view the college timetable.

Typical Day for a BA student

What are the Term Dates for 2016/17?
Please follow the link to view our current term dates.

2016–2017 Term Dates