Moorlands College is delighted to welcome students from around the world. Courses of study that are full-time, based at our Christchurch Campus, and leading to a qualification of degree-level or above, can be accessed via the Student Visa route. Various other studies may be accessed via the Standard Visitor route. The following two sections give details; please read them both carefully.

Student Visa route to study

We are now a probationary Student Sponsor, which means we can offer Student Visa sponsorship for the following full-time courses:

BA (Hons) Applied Theology (Campus-based only) [2]
BA (Hons) Applied Theology (Youth and Community Work) (Campus-based only) [2]
Postgraduate Diploma Language, Community and Development [3]
MA Language, Community and Development [3]


  1. Student Visas are only accessible if you enrol to complete one of the above awards and you are studying at Christchurch Campus.
  2. Foundation Year, and the BA Flexible and MSW modes, are not available on a Student Visa. However, it may be possible to study the BA in Flexible mode via the Standard Visitor route (see Standard Visitor section below).
  3. For Language, Community and Development applicants, see, also, the Standard Visitor section below.

If you wish to apply to study with us, you will need to ensure you meet the UKVI’s criteria for entry clearance into the UK to study. You may only apply for a Student Visa once you have received a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) from the College. A CAS will only be issued once (a) the usual application process has been successfully completed as outlined within the Admissions Policy, and (b) we are satisfied that you will meet the UKVI’s criteria for entry clearance, relating to English language ability, academic progression, and adequate financial support, as follows.


English Language Ability

  • You must take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) at an approved site  You must pass the academic IELTS test with an overall result of at least 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in listening and speaking and 6.0 in reading and writing. For IELTS Tests visit:


Academic Progression

  • If you have already studied in the UK, your new course must normally be above the level of your previous UK course.
  • For entry to the BA (Hons) degree programme you must provide proof of successful completion of secondary education which would normally provide access to Higher Education (equivalent to A Levels in the UK, or other approved level 3 qualifications indicated in the Admissions Policy: Admissions Selection Criteria
  • For entry to the MA in Language, Community and Development programme you must provide proof of previous study at level 6, as outlined in the Admissions Policy: Admissions Selection Criteria

Adequate Financial Support

  • You must show evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees for one year, plus nine months living costs. Visit: for more details. If your application to study is successful, the College will require a deposit of 50% of the annual tuition fee before a CAS is issued.

For more information about Student Visa applications please visit the UK Government website:

Standard Visitor route to study

Standard Visitors to the UK are permitted to study for up to six months. Study may be part-time or full-time, and may be a single course, or a combination of short courses. Longer courses are only permitted if you are based outside of the UK for most of the time, and only come to Moorlands for short periods (e.g. induction weeks or intensive study blocks). Studies which may be accessed via the Standard Visitor route include:

Short Informal Courses
BA (Hons) Applied Theology, Flexible mode [1]
BA (Hons) Applied Theology (Youth and Community Work), Flexible mode [1]
Postgraduate Certificate Applied Theology
Postgraduate Diploma Applied Theology
MA Applied Theology
Postgraduate Certificate Language, Community and Development [1]
Postgraduate Diploma Language, Community and Development entering at PGDip stage


  1. BA Flexible mode is only available via the Standard Visitor route if your placement and home are outside the UK.
  2. If you take the PGCert Language, Community and Development under the Standard Visitor route, you will not be permitted to progress to the PGDip stage in the same academic year.
  3. The Standard Visitor route requires you to be a genuine visitor to the UK each time you enter the country. This is particularly important in the case of courses where you will need to make multiple trips to the UK to complete your study. Because of this requirement, the College will not permit you to enrol in successive short courses totalling more than six months.

For more information about Standard Visitors, please visit the UK Government website:, and for studying as a Standard Visitor: