Learn Hebrew through interactive activities and develop your understanding of Hebrew texts through these unique week-long courses.
– Beginner’s Hebrew: 14-18 Feb 2022 on campus
– Improver’s Hebrew: 21-25 Feb 2022 on campus (potential option to attend online, subject to viability)
Biblical Hebrew for Beginners: If you’ve ever wanted to learn the building blocks of the Hebrew alphabet, vocabulary and grammar, but weren’t sure where to start, then our Hebrew week is for you. Through a variety of interactive activities, you’ll immerse yourself in a unique learning experience. The intensive week of teaching means that you are exposed to the language in a concentrated form and focused environment without other distractions.
Moving on with Biblical Hebrew: If you have some knowledge of Biblical Hebrew, either from taking the beginners’ week or from a previous study, then the ‘Moving On’ week will help you revise and improve your skills. The week will focus on reading together through various Hebrew texts, combined with further grammar teaching.
- Tuition: £250 for one Hebrew week and £400 for both weeks
– £30 per week (Mon-Fri) for lunches and drinks for non-residential students
– £140 per week (Mon-Fri) for 5 nights’ accommodation (if available) including all meals
– £330 for accommodation for the two weeks and the middle weekend (12 nights, if available) including all meals
Both weeks will be led by Phil King, who is a member of Wycliffe UK and teaches on Moorlands’ MA Language, Community & Development at our School of Language and Scripture. Phil taught Hebrew to Papua New Guinean Bible translators for more than ten years, and has continued this within a UK setting. His PhD was on metaphors in Biblical Hebrew.
Phil will be assisted by Daniel Paul, who is the MA LCD Programme Leader and a translation and linguistics consultant. His BA was in Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic.
Biblical Hebrew for Beginners – this week aims to help you:
- Become confident in reading the Hebrew alphabet
- Kickstart your understanding of Biblical Hebrew vocabulary and grammar
- Work with an Old Testament text
- Gain the skills to continue learning after the week has finished
Moving on with Biblical Hebrew – this week aims to help you:
- Refresh and extend your knowledge of Biblical Hebrew through giving you the opportunity to immerse yourself in language study
- Explore and translate a variety of Old Testament texts
We work from John Dobson’s Learn Biblical Hebrew (ISBN 9780801097423) during the Hebrew weeks, so students are required to bring a copy. If you would like us to provide your copy at a cost of £20, please let us know.
Please apply using the form below. We’ll let you know in due course if your application has been accepted. If your application is successful, we’ll ask you for a £50 non-refundable deposit. Full payment will be requested one month before the start of the course if you’re accepted.